Cancer Care & Prevention, Environmental Health, Parenting, Sexual & Reproductive Health, Youth Development
Indigenae is a community-guided podcast that is dedicated to Indigenous wxmen’s health and wellbeing. Join hosts Sarah Stern (Cherokee), Olivia Trujillo (Navajo) and Dr. Sophie Neuner (Karuk) as they interview a new guest each week and take listeners on a journey through Indigenous womanhood, exploring topics from Coming of Age to Becoming an Elder.
The podcast highlights conversations with traditional practitioners, Indigenous health care workers, activists, researchers, artists, and survivors. “Indigenae is really about telling stories,” says Sarah Stern, Citizen of the Cherokee Nation, “and for Indigenous peoples, storytelling is a traditional way of learning how to live well”.
All episodes were guided by an advisory board of Elders, mothers, and daughters, who came together from Tribal nations across Turtle Island, also known as North America, to define topics, guests, and discussions. “This powerful group of women, who gifted their time to Indigenae, were in the driver’s seat”, explains Olivia Trujillo, Member of the Navajo Nation.
“Guest speakers share so many important lessons”, says Dr. Sophie Neuner, Member of the Karuk Tribe. “Their laughter, stories, and teachings are medicine.”
New episodes are released on Spotify, Apple Music, Google Podcasts, and other podcasting platforms every Tuesday at 4 AM ET.
Indigenae Topics and Themes
- Pregnancy, Birth, and Motherhood: Ursula Knocki-Wilson, Aspen Mirabel, Ashley Phelps
- Menarche and Coming of Age: Cutcha Risling-Baldy, Jenny Richards
- Sex and Pleasure: Delilah Robb, Gabrielle Evans, Souksavanh T. Keovorabouth
- MMIW/ Violence against Womxn and Two Spirit: Mary Katheryn Nagle, Cari Herthel, Blythe George
- Cancer and Survivance: Amanda Bruegl, Linda Ross, Phyllis Smith
- Our Land, Our Bodies, Our Food: Nicole Redvers, Tara Maudrie, Lisa Hillman and Kathy McCovey
- Menopause and Becoming an Elder: Jules Koostachin, Karla Decker Sorby
- Honoring the mystery at the beginning of our lives: Pregnancy and Birth with Ursula Knocki-Wilson
- Building Indigenous Futures: Coming of Age with Dr. Cutcha Risling-Baldy
- We heal together: Our Land, Our Bodies with Dr. Nicole Redvers
- So Much Work Remains: Forging Paths toward MMIWG2S Data Sovereignty with Dr. Blythe George